|"Pink Gold, Triple Date, Chronograph
& Moon Phase - Three-Tone Dial"
Audemars Piguet & Co., Genève, No. 45983.
Made circa 1940.
Very fine and extremely rare, 18K pink gold wristwatch with
olive button chronograph, register, tachometer, triple date,
moon phases and age, and three-tone dial, with an 18K yellow
gold Audemars Piguet buckle.
|C. Three-body, solid, polished, rounded bezel, teardrop lugs.
D. Brushed gold with applied pink gold Arabic numerals, outer
minute track with concentric fifths of a second divisions, Arabic
five minute/second numerals, subsidiary dials with matte
silvered centers for the 30-minute register combined with the
months at 3, for the seconds combined with the days of the
week at 9, subsidiary dial for the date at 12, sector for the lunar
calendar and aperture for the moon phases at 6, outer
tachometer graduation. Pink gold "baton" hands. M. Cal. 13''',
rhodium-plated, "fausses côtes" decoration, 21 jewels, straightline
lever escapement, monometallic balance, self-compensating
Breguet balance-spring, index regulator.
Dial, case and movement signed.
Diam. 36 mm. Thickness 13 mm.
From “The Collection”
|Estimate: 100,000 CHF - 150,000 CHF
Estimate: 60,000 EUR - 90,000 EUR
Estimate: 85,000 USD - 125,000 USD
|This model is one of the most beautiful and sought-after wristwatches
made by Audemars Piguet. It is particularly rare with
two-tone dial and in addition, the present watch is in original
unrestored condition. The combination of the large-size case,
teardrop lugs and visually appealing dial design make it one of the
classic vintage wristwatches of the 1940s.
A similar watch is illustrated in "Audemars Piguet" by Gisbert L.
Brunner, Christian Pfeiffer-Belli and Martin K. Wehrli, p. 247.
Audemars Piguet, Le Brassus and Geneva.
Founded in 1875 by two watchmakers, Jules Audemars and
Edward Piguet, aged 24 and 22, under the name "Audemars
Piguet, Manufacture d’Horlogerie". Jules Audemars was born in Le
Brassus in 1851, where he was trained as a watchmaker by master
watchmakers of the area. After his apprenticeship, Audemars
worked as a "repasseur", settling in 1874 in Gimel and opening a
small business next to his workshop. He did not obtain the success
he was hoping for, probably due to the recession which was then
beginning, and 18 months later, decided to return to Le Brassus,
looking for a new situation more in keeping with his exceptional
watchmaking skill. Edward Auguste Piguet, born two years after
Jules Audemars, received a similar education. Piguet completed
his education as a "repasseur" at Charles Capt. and met Audemars
in 1875 in Le Brassus. For a time, the two watchmakers worked
closely together without legally officializing their partnership.
Nevertheless, a brand was registered at the "Office technique de
l’Edition et de la Publicité" in Bern on December, 6, 1882 for
movements and watch cases,
In 1889, the Audemars Piguet company was officially founded. In
the records, Audemars Piguet & Cie is presented as a manufacturer
active all year long, employing 10 male employees. In 1880,
they opened a branch in Geneva, where commercial possibilities
were the greatest. Due to his exceptional technical abilities,
Audemars was the technical manager of the firm. He patented
several inventions in Switzerland and in the USA, and traveled
extensively, particularly to America, where the potential for trade
fascinated him. Piguet was the financial specialist of the firm.
The two men managed the company together until 1918, when
Jules Audemars died at the age of 67. Edward Piguet died the
following year. Certain of their models became symbolic of the
skill and technique of Audemars Piguet. One of them, a minuterepeating,
perpetual calendar, split-seconds chronograph pocket
watch, was presented at the Paris Universal Exhibition in 1889.
They firm opened stores in Paris, London, Berlin, and ew York, and
they made watches of different styles: French, English, German,
and American, which was considered a very successful and
They also took part in several important exhibitions and fairs.
Around 1915, the company started to manufacture wristwatches,
which were very fashionable, including repeating wristwatches.
In 1920, after the death of the two founders, Audemars Piguet
created the smallest minute-repeating watch, and, in 1911, the
10’’’ movement, while continuing the production of traditional and
complicated pocket watches. All Audemars Piguet products were
sold in Le Brassus, Geneva, London, Paris, Berlin and New York.
The firm worked in collaboration with important importers and
retailers all over the world.
Their clients included, among others: Dent and Frodsham in
London, Tiffany in New York, Cartier and Breguet in Paris, Bulgari in
Rome, and Dürrstein in Glashütte and Dresden. After the New York
Stock Exchange crash in 1929, Audemars Piguet, like other manufacturers,
lost a large part of their American clientele. Although
1932 was the worse year in the firm’s history, the Audemars and
Piguet families and their descendants retained ownership.
By 1933, the economic situation of the firm was already much
improved, and, at the start of WWII, the major part of the Audemars
Piguet production was sold to the USA. Later, seeing strong interest
from clients for skeletonized wristwatches and pocket watches,
Audemars Piguet included these among their standard production.
They are still produced today, as are the firm’s famous complicated
pocket watches invented over 100 years ago.
|Important Collectors’ Watches, Pocket Watches & Clocks
|Sold including buyer's premium: